What's the best action for slap?

The Bass Player's Toolbox
timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:30 pm

beagle wrote:of course you might be wearing Stubbies 8)
Some friends of mine are in a band who wear denim cutoff short shorts, and they have also found their way into their everyday attire.

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:32 pm

Oh....my.....god.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:16 pm

hey if you've got the legs for it then why not? :shock:

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Re: What's the best action for slap?

Post by Pstewart » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:14 pm

First time poster woo!
Call me strange but i actually like having a bit of space between the strings and the fretboard, it's not th most practical thing technique wise but you can whallop it and there isn't excessive buzz.
Maybe cause i learnt to slap on a bass with monster action, you could throw a sheet over the strings and hide under them it was so high.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:38 am

those guys would do better with long socks :oops:

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:28 am

They stopped cranking the shorts live a few months ago because it is getting popular with some bad metalcore/emocore bands.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:53 pm

curse those emocore bands! there are always stealing the beat ideas...
actually never heard of elmocore till now

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:47 pm

I don't 'hate' anything in life, I have no time for hate.

However, I don't enjoy hearing slap bass. Similarly, I find Jaco as boring as Hendix and I can only take one Level 42 song a year without screaming in pain. Different strokes...

This isn't because I can't play the styles, but just like Timi - why do things you don't like? Ok I do pay taxes, which I don't like, but ... :D
I used to play a slapped bass solo in Another Brick in the Wall, but got very bored, very quickly with it.

Also like Timi, I haven't found any of this 'hating' in bass forums. IMNSHO, bass players tend to be more moderate than guitarists.

A few years ago, I was at an all-day jam with a bloke who played brilliant slap. Unfortunately, it appears that's all he could play, 'cos he backed me on a song I sang and it completely ruined the feel. Try singing a blues 12 bar with Sammy the Slapper as your bassist!! OMG - Not good!

Slap does have its place in music - of course it does - it just doesn't have a place in the music I enjoy. YMMV.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:05 pm

Slapping blues huh... What blues bassist doesn't slap and pop the odd 12 bar?? :lol:
I feel your pain Jazzbass :wink:
Pstewart wrote:call me strange but i actually like having a bit of space between the strings and the fretboard, it's not th most practical thing technique wise but you can whallop it and there isn't excessive buzz.
Hi Pstewart, welcome to the site bro. Good point and that's what I was interested in when I first made the post. As the vast majority of my playing is fingered, I like a really low action. It has just meant that I have trained myself to play & slap lighter to avoid that buzz. I'm just about to experiment with different compressors / limiters to see if I can put a ceiling on the peaks 'should they occour' but not loose the character of the sound. I like the idea of being able to play fingered through a song and then just add a little bit of slap and pops just to bring additional colour... but without large volume peaks. No glory stuff... just another tool for the kit. :wink:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Miss Piggy
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by Miss Piggy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:29 pm

beagle wrote:hey if you've got the legs for it then why not? :shock:
Nope, I've looked, and looked again....that bass player definitely does NOT have the legs for it!

Bleeurrrchhh!

I, personally, like to wear skirts. I DON'T recommend it to any of you guys with hairy legs though - it DOESN"T look nice :wink:
Ok, I'll do the stupid thing first, then all you shy people follow...

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 pm

lol :lol:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

BASSAL

Post by BASSAL » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:19 am

Newbie question.I grew up in the old upright slap bass era. question,is it possible to achieve a similar sound to the old upright on an electric.It dosn't seem possible to my simple mind as the two instruments are totally different beasts.
however if it can be done i would be only too pleased to hear how cos i would love to learn that old slap beat again,cheers Al

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:32 am

They are different beasts, indeed.
Have you tried plucking forward - at about the 17th fret, instead of back by the pups?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:10 am

BASSAL wrote:Newbie question.I grew up in the old upright slap bass era. question,is it possible to achieve a similar sound to the old upright on an electric.It dosn't seem possible to my simple mind as the two instruments are totally different beasts.
however if it can be done i would be only too pleased to hear how cos i would love to learn that old slap beat again,cheers Al
i put some piezo under the bridge of my frettless sounds quite uprightish to me. i f i play it over the 15 frett i get more of that thump sound that uprights have

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:23 pm

Ed Friedland mentions "How to get an upright sound on electric bass" in his "The Working Bassists Tool-kit" book,- the early fenders had foam strips under the bridge covers (ashtrays), also stingrays had foam, if you havnt got time to stuff foam under, then right-hand palm muting with thumb picking can do well for short attack and quick decay- put your thumb under the string a little and pull up slightly - the string will slap against the fingerboard creating a slight click with each note for the slapped rockabilly thing - great article in this months 'Bassplayer" mag on Stray Cats bass player Lee Rocker.