Do learn to use a pick

The Bass Player's Toolbox
beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 pm

DanAntunovich wrote:I can play much faster with my fingers than with a pick, and with way more control.
hmm... how many fingers do you use in your right hand typically Dan?

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:44 pm

I'm not Dan... but as a finger player I normally pick with 3. I find it weird to limit to just 2 fingers now. Sometimes I'll employ the use of my little finger if required, I mean after all, if it is right there then why not use it? so occasionally 4 but not often - usually just 3. With this in mind I grow my right hand nails to the tips of my fingers to use them as picks. It is important to get the length right otherwise they get in the way if you need to finger tap a piece (which often involves all 4).

My interjected 2cents...
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:47 am

thx Brendon 8)
i think it's wild that you pick 3 fingers with your nails.. big ups for that. I'm a fingered player mainly and rarly use picks so I can't get my nails short enough.
I used to play 2 finger right hand mainly and found that over time I was using up to 4 without thinking. More recently I thought I try and make a concerted effort to use 3 fingers constantly by practicing scales etc. mainly for the speed increase and just because why not?
I thought if I could get 3 down pat subconciously then I'd try 4 fingers. but seeing as my little finger seems so much weaker I thought this a better way to go rather than just go straight to 4. You're thoughts?
Playing 3 in the right hand seems to be quite good brain excercise too as so much music I play is based around 4 beats in the bar.

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:59 am

I concur, my little finger is also much weaker than the rest and because of this cannot supply the balanced attack as the rest, therefore it is used only when the opportunity suits, or if I want to show off to another muso in the audience... lol.
I also thought about the 4 beats to a bar, matching with the four quarters to a beat thing but in saying that the theory is fine until you get to the application. The Billy Sheehan tutorial video is worth viewing because he does talk about his approach and provides some useful patterns. I have seen it twice years and years ago and got some learning from it however I have'nt really studied right hand finger patterns like a good player should. I play a little more instinctively than analytically. If I have a blister or sore knuckle or other pain in a particular finger then the rest pick up the slack. I have played entire gigs with my index and ring finger because I have sprained my middle finger doing inverts rollerblading on my halfpipe before. This is where employing more than 2 fingers can be useful as atleast you have a spare couple available.
ummm... sorry if this finger discussion has hijacked the topic of plecturm use...
I suck as a plectrum player, and am humbled by those who can use one :)
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 am

opps.. yeah sorry for the post hijack.

i've started a new one here... http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/phpBB2/view ... ?p=443#443

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 am

beagle wrote:
DanAntunovich wrote:I can play much faster with my fingers than with a pick, and with way more control.
hmm... how many fingers do you use in your right hand typically Dan?
Typically 2, using 3 feels weird to me, although for some triplety stuff I may use 3 every now and then.

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:13 am

I have never used a pick when playing (tho respect the hell outta who can play with them!). Generally if I have ever needed that extra kinda attacky sound, I will use my fingers as tho holding a pick. I have always kept my first fingernail a little longer than the others so I can still strum a gat (don't use picks for that either). It doesn't really have any effect (the nail) on my finger tone as I don't generally play with the tip of my fingers. I have only really ever used the picking technique for some of Godfrey's stuff or the odd song that may require it, but do def think that picking is another part of a bassists repertoire.

Oh yeah, and hi, I'm new to these forums. Nice work setting it up tho cuzzins!

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 am

Hi ya Chip! great to have ya on board mate. :)

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:24 am

Cheers cuz! I ran into this forum last night and thought it was an excellent idea for us bassies to have a place to chat, plus seeing Dan's name, I knew it must be dodgy (nah jokes bro!)

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 am

Haha Chip!! Great to have you along man :D

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:21 am

im practicing pick playing these days, although its still a bit foreign to me. even as someone who played hardcore guitar (with a pick of course) first, it always seemed natural and easy to play bass with my fingers.

theres some tracks and styles that really do require pick playing i reckon. as awesome as flea is, when he joined janes addiction for their latter tour/s the finger style just didn't quite match eric averys basslines and tone.

ive noticed you get hella more gain out of playing with a pick too!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:44 pm

Regarding the long plucking fingernails, I have to trim mine right down, or else I get an after-click that I don't want. When I use fingers, I want it smooth and deep without too much attack.

Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:40 pm

Most def. It's only my index finger, and I altered my style a few years back so that I wouldn't hit my nail iof it got too long, and it gave me a longer warmer sound which was a bonus

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:54 am

Sound like you have it sussed, mate! :)

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:37 am

Haha he definitely has it sussed :wink: