Slapping ...

The Bass Player's Toolbox
NZRS-Dave
Bronze Member

Slapping ...

Post by NZRS-Dave » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:39 am

... so I don't slap.

But when I was 17 and at Rockquest, we did a song that had the most basic of slap on it. In fact, it's really even slap.

Anyways, 20 years later we decided we wanted to record it ... so we did that last night. But not being a regular slapper, my thumb knuckle started killing me. Luckily I got a few breaks as other parts were done, but I wanted to know if there's anything you can put on the knuckle to stop from hurting. Is there a glove, or rubber bands, or band aids etc?

Anyone know?

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Re: Slapping ...

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:55 am

Smegging poofta!
HTFU!

LOL, I don't slap either - its a style I've never enjoyed listening to, so never bothered to learn how to play it. Sorry I can't be of help, but never let a chance go by to extract urine.... :lol:

joppo

Post by joppo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:18 am

Another non-slapper's reply, so what would I know :roll:

I think it is Mark King who is often seen with what looks like a bit of electrical tape around the joint on his thumb to avoid 'slap-related injuries'

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:32 am

You shouldn't be using your knuckle when slapping, it's more the outside "meat" at the top of the thumb. Even then, you don't really need to strike the string all that hard to get the sound. I'd say just pull it back a bit in intensity and try to strike the string higher up on your thumb!

NZRS-Dave
Bronze Member

Post by NZRS-Dave » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Dan wrote:You shouldn't be using your knuckle when slapping, it's more the outside "meat" at the top of the thumb. Even then, you don't really need to strike the string all that hard to get the sound. I'd say just pull it back a bit in intensity and try to strike the string higher up on your thumb!
lol ... I was thinking when I typed that 'mmmmmm ... I hope you're supposed to use your knuckle'. I did try hitting it lighter with the amp up louder, but it wasn't getting the attack that I wanted.

I was pretty sure, that I just needed to HTFU ... but thought I would ask.

*** edited many times cos I can't type

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Go the Seinfeld route and get a Casiotone.

b4ss

Post by b4ss » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

Seriously. It's a combination of all of the above except the Casiotone.
1. Dan is right, it's the meat and not the knuckle. Look at Youtube clips of pro bassists - it's like they pretty much use fingertips and not much else.
2. Ok sometimes you can't avoid using your knuckle. HTFU with moderation and it'll get easier with practice. But also remember push yourself too far (especially if you're in your 40s) and you'll end up with hairline fractures and a completely useless thumb.
3. Slap closer to the neck. This also increases attack with less effort.
4. Guitar setup. I use a separate fretted guitar for slaps and pops with a low action, roundwound strings a must.
5. Amping / EQ. Yes, you need mucho more high end. And again you can increase the effect of the attack by reducing mids and moderate lows.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Do people still do that? :shock:

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

i can't slap to save myself, never have and probably never will. i don't think my brain is wired up the right way to do it.

but i do end up with blood blisters above the knuckle on my thumb when i'm giving it a go (more like hitting the damn string than slapping it, but usually when i do it i'm after an over-aggressive sound)...bloody painful after a few goes of that carry on...
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:11 pm

martyforrer wrote:Do people still do that? :shock:
In time the slap will be back.... gauranteed.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:13 pm

NZRS-Dave wrote:... so I don't slap.

But when I was 17 and at Rockquest, we did a song that had the most basic of slap on it. In fact, it's really even slap.

Anyways, 20 years later we decided we wanted to record it ... so we did that last night. But not being a regular slapper, my thumb knuckle started killing me. Luckily I got a few breaks as other parts were done, but I wanted to know if there's anything you can put on the knuckle to stop from hurting. Is there a glove, or rubber bands, or band aids etc?

Anyone know?
Yeah what Dan said. Knuckles are for banging against the side of the drummer's head to keep them in time, not slapping. Your answer lies in adjusting your technique and building up an unsightly callus.