Unusual techniques

The Bass Player's Toolbox
Cory
Bronze Member

Unusual techniques

Post by Cory » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 pm

I am always playing around looking for a new sound to make with my bass. I have knicked a few techniques from some older players that I don't see much of. My favorite of these being the pinched harmonic. Does anyone have any others?

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Have a laugh , but after I got married I found patting the neck with my left hand gives a percussion click vaguely appropriate in loose and sparse Funk Jams. The neck of my Bass of course.

It's sort of a inverted wave... aimed at D string on a fret. yes any fret.

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:53 pm

I tap harmonics at times during the bridges of some songs just to get a different ring and tonal variation. It adds nice contrast when playing live... sometimes I actually use my thumb like the classic slap approach but the attack is exactly an octave above (12 frets) and I match that through my riffs as I play...

Sometimes I overhand slap with my fingertips (right hand technique), this is a fairly common style with older funk players although less common these days. Many musos stop in their tracks when they see this stuff but it is just playing around...

When I feel like showing off I'll sometimes play my bass overhand, which is pretty easy as I am naturally left handed but play right handed basses... (they are cheaper and you get better variety)

Pinched harmonics are handy although dont use the technique that often, evenstill when the application is required certainly use it.

Also, the use of thumbplucking with the muted palm is great for some reggae tracks.

Bass is so much more than people think. It's funny most people (non bassists) have no idea at how fun and versatile an instrument they can be.
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:00 pm

not a 'technique' as such, but using metal/ copper picks gives you a distinctive tone - suits certain grooves/ songs...the metal on metal sound is pretty mean! :twisted:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:06 am

For the odd song, try picking very close to the bridge, then moving up the neck (towards the headstock) and back again. You get a huge tonal variation that'll make others turn around and go wtf? :)

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:10 am

If you wind your volume/gain up, you can play sections of a song with just your fretting hand, while you enjoy a drink with your other hand. Yes, it is showing off, but.. that's entertainment!

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:55 pm

foal30 wrote:Have a laugh , but after I got married I found patting the neck with my left hand gives a percussion click vaguely appropriate in loose and sparse Funk Jams. The neck of my Bass of course.

It's sort of a inverted wave... aimed at D string on a fret. yes any fret.
And this was a result of being married? My fiance would be pleased to know the added benefit of being married is an interesting percussive sound. hehehe

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Not sure if this is unusal.. i havnt seen others do it, but i like slap power cords kinda... by flicking two main plucking fingers backward and hitting strings similtaneously with my finger nails and smashing into fret board.. gives a real punchy hard tone to it... good for songs like 4th july(sound garden) or those wahy bits in anasthesia pulling teeth.

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:47 am

definite wrote:not a 'technique' as such, but using metal/ copper picks gives you a distinctive tone - suits certain grooves/ songs...the metal on metal sound is pretty mean! :twisted:
Mean idea... i got a steel mill and lathe in my garage... thats one oh those things thats gonna have to go on my to do list.. ill try a few different materials... high grade ally, high tenstile steel, high speed steel :twisted: etc... then all i gotta do is learn how to use a pick :wink:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:00 am

BTW - if you use those strings which are sheathed in nylon, do NOT use metal picks. I do know.

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Jazzbass wrote:BTW - if you use those strings which are sheathed in nylon, do NOT use metal picks. I do know.
Duly noted... tah. 8)

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 pm

I have heard of a guy using a guitar capo on his bass rather than tuning up. Has anyone else tried this?

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:23 pm

No never heard of that before. :? I can't think of any really common reason to use one with a bass.... you might consider it if you were playing high up the neck and wanted open strings sounding at the same time in a particular key. Interested to see what others come up with.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Even so, why would he need to tune up :?

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:54 pm

Dan wrote:Even so, why would he need to tune up :?
hmm... to expound this strange and probibly pointless point ;).... lets assume you're playing some hot death defying tapping licks high up the neck and wanted to have a low F ringing away underneath... how would you do it without retuning? oh... and lets' pretend you're using a 4 string!

I think if it's this hard to come up with a hypothetical scenario for where you could use a capo... then that kinda answers the question of it's overall usefullness! :roll: