SINGING AND PLAYING TIPS ANYONE?

The Bass Player's Toolbox
definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

SINGING AND PLAYING TIPS ANYONE?

Post by definite » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:42 pm

Does anyone have any good excersises and/or tips to getting good with singing and playing simultaneously?

timi
Gold Member

Re: SINGING AND PLAYING TIPS ANYONE?

Post by timi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:54 pm

I concentrate on one and let the other come naturally. Sometimes it's better to concentrate on the easier of the two, sometimes the other way round.

I find playing bass and singing much harder than playing guitar and singing, but nowhere near as hard as drumming and singing. Must be really hard to play sax and sing at the same time....

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:33 pm

The challenge for me is quite formidable - to be able to sing while playing syncopated and often off beat bass patterns - its hard! HELP ! :o

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm

ha ha
you pick the hardest material to sing on mate

totally nail the bass part, then add voice is 90% of what I've done
for the more syncopated stuff I have probably written the Bass Riff to the lyrics or vice versa so the parts are of the same genus. It's then hard to separate them which can have it's downside too.

If it's adding to an already written tune I might play the simplest bass line and consciously only sing the thirds (or whatever). If (and it's a big if) I can do this then I may expand some ideas.

hopefully Rog/JazzBass reads this, he's only being doing this for 30+ years so he will be sure to have some handy hints.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm amazed by guys who can sing and play bass. Cudos to you def.
timi wrote:I find playing bass and singing much harder than playing guitar and singing, but nowhere near as hard as drumming and singing. Must be really hard to play sax and sing at the same time....
interesting... How do you figure that? Drummers don't have to think about what notes to play.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 am

Yeah, what foal said. You pretty much need the bass line on autopilot. I get the bass line sorted well before I start learning lyrics to songs my covers band are doing. I've tried getting vocals going on autopilot, but found that since the foldback seems to vary wildly from one gig to the next, you really need to listen hard sometimes to keep your pitching sweet, so you need the bassline to just keep pumping out without too much thought.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:06 pm

Beagle if you think about it, drummers have four limbs with a different rhythm on each limb, albeit generally connected ones.
I personally find it hard enough playing drums by itself haha.
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Pstewart wrote:Beagle if you think about it, drummers have four limbs with a different rhythm on each limb, albeit generally connected ones.
I personally find it hard enough playing drums by itself haha.
Yeah fair call.... i didn't really think about it from that aspect.
I was ignoring the actual complexity of how the different instruments are played.
My thinking was that bass players normally play the rhythm like the drummer, while the drummer doesn't have to harmonize. ... does that make any sense?? :mrgreen:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

definite
Gold Member

Post by definite » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:05 pm

im practicing away hard out and actually its not quite as hard as I thought - im still making a few errors and only just winging it in certain parts but I can see that with perseverance and practice I'll get it!

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:47 pm

i only do BVs, but ive found if i dont sing (due to 'flu) it can be harder to play,- singing gives you automatic cues and when youre not singing, the bass part is less subliminal and therefore more difficult - does that make sense?

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 10, 2014 8:05 am

I think it's a case of practice, practice, practice. Certainly I think there's a lot to be said for nailing one part so well that you can do it almost on auto pilot. So for me it's making sure I know the bass part so well I don't really need to think about it. Then I can start singing along.

There are some songs my band does that do my head in - in terms of nailing both bass and vocals - that I've accepted that I won't do vocals and just concentrate on the groove.

I only do backing vocals too.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed May 14, 2014 8:10 pm

I unfortunately "sing" 1 song in our entire repertoire,"sing" is a very very loose word in my neck of the woods,and the unfortunate part more relates to any poor soul present.

As a rule, as soon as I open my mouth while playing my fingers become detached from what brain I have left, and the wheel comes off........

My tip is do it if you can and don't if you cant :)

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Right on there Pins... Good point.

Play to your strengths.

Bass and any vocals (backing or especially lead) done simultaneously is a top effort. Even though I personally rate his voice, Mark King played some very active bass parts and sings. Now days some good examples are Esperanza Spalding and Nathan East - from time to time - does vocals.
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon May 26, 2014 4:55 pm

tHe hardest thing is to just sing, and if your like me it has to be a harmony or I'm treading on our vocalists wavelength and I simply cannot get away from not singing in my band full stop.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:04 am

Well when I am learning a new song(s) to play, I always learn the bass parts first and go to rehearsal and play the song with the band, then add in BV's once I'm comfortable that I've got the bass line nailed
the hardest one for me at the moment is that Bruno Mars 'Uptown Funk' - the bass line is pretty full on towards the end of the song and I need to watch what I'm playing.... but the vocals at the end repeat "Uptown Funk you up, Uptown Funk you up..." at the same time and it's quite difficult to multitask! :lol:
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle