Pitch / Key Changing MP3's

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Pitch / Key Changing MP3's

Post by beagle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:45 am

Hey, does anyone know of any software that allows you to change the pitch of an MP3 temporarily?
Quite often when I'm practicing a cover song the key I'm need to play it in is different to that on the MP3.
It would be brilliant to know of audio playing software that allows me to adjust the key on the fly.
Cheers
Beagle :)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

joppo

Re: Pitch / Key Changing MP3's

Post by joppo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi Beagle

Not 100% sure if this will work as I've only been playing with the software for 2 days, but Audicity (freeware - an open source project) lets you change the pitch of tracks in the software, and I'm pretty sure it lets you import MP3's. So technically it should be possible. I'll check if it works tonight and report back tomorrow.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:29 pm

Hey great stuff joppo. I've got Audacity and I just tried it and it works really well.
Ideally I'd also like a player that lets me adjust pitch on the fly but this will certainly do the job.
Cheers 8)

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Glad to help. If you want to change pitch on the fly, it looks like you can do it in Mixcraft 3. I haven't used the programme myself... just looked at their website. It has a dropdown box to adjust the pitch for each track rather than having it as a filter as is the case for Audicity. The price on mixcraft doesn't look too bad either. Website listed below...

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:30 pm

Hmm... haven't seen that software before. Will check it out. Thx :)

mike_s

Post by mike_s » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:02 pm

have a look at riffster lite http://www.novadsp.com/riffster_lite.htm
- Mike

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:00 pm

Hey Riffster is brill Mike... thanks mate!!! 8)

Riffster is a simple FREE music player that allows you raise or lower the pitch by three semi-tones without effecting the tempo. It also gives you the ability to slow the tempo down by 20%.

I bought a new computer recently with an ASUS P5 K motherboard. The onboard sound software actually has this ability built-in which I was very surprised to see. It allows you to raise or lower by 4 semi-tones.

The other software I found for this was Chronotron Windows Media Pitchplugin. http://www.chronotron.com/content.php?page=products
This is obviously a plugin for windows media player. It allows more pitch range than the above options but the free version only works for 30days.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:54 pm

I f/l a small programme called Guitar & drum trainer - which allows me to slowdown riffs - set up start and loop points so I can go over a guitar riff in a slow loop until I get the notes right etc. Worth a squiz.

http://renegademinds.com/Default.aspx?tabid=46

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:19 pm

ok a bit off topic but does any one remember those walkman type things from the early 90s think they were called rockman or something. put your tape in and you could plug you bass in and slow the track down. i really wanted one. glad i didnt get one though . my how technology has improved

(tape :lol: )

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:51 pm

Tascam mp3 bass trainer sounds like the holy grail, if you have the bucks (or your wife lets you have them).

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:19 am

John - I made my own basic Rockman with an old tape player and I wired a guitar input directly onto the back of the heads. It worked just fine. Play along with whoever.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:53 am

Jazzbass wrote:John - I made my own basic Rockman with an old tape player and I wired a guitar input directly onto the back of the heads. It worked just fine. Play along with whoever.
awesome rog. i love diy stuff. you did this ,made a bass ,wound your own pickup. getting a bit of a picture that you are quite the d-i-yer.
wonder what else you have made/modded.
sorry i cant seem to stay on topic can i :oops: