Teachers

DVD's, Books, Websites, Music Courses etc - Anything to help learn
zero
Silver Member

Teachers

Post by zero » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey all,

After an audition that didn't go so well, I'm feeling the need to get some lessons - I've spent so long in bands that I would love to work on something a little different. I suppose I'd put myself in the intermediate - advanced category with playing, though not so hot on theory (can't read much music etc.). Quite keen on learning that kind of thing, but I am mainly focussed on playing ability, and would particularly like to learn some jazz.

Anybody got some good suggestions for teachers in Auckland?

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: Teachers

Post by beagle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:26 pm

What style band was the audition for?
I'd recommend you talk to Dan Antonovich.... he's a moderator on this site (dan) if you haven't already worked that out
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Sorta reggae/dub. In fairness, it was more that I didn't meet the qualifications requirement (would have been nice to know in advance). But the actual learning of the songs and performance of them made me think about how I could improve my playing.

Thanks, I'll send him a message later (unless he posts here first).

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:05 pm

zero wrote:Sorta reggae/dub. In fairness, it was more that I didn't meet the qualifications requirement (would have been nice to know in advance). But the actual learning of the songs and performance of them made me think about how I could improve my playing.
Thanks, I'll send him a message later (unless he posts here first).
Well despite them wasting your time you've been insired to push yourself in another way.
Maybe doing auditions just for the sake of it has some merits?
Dan's a good guy and v talented.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 pm

There is nothing you can do better than getting a good teacher. Learning theory, reading notation, and learning to play jazz is fantastic regardless of the style or genre you like to play.