Short Scales

Your weapon of choice
jackthejesusfreak

Short Scales

Post by jackthejesusfreak » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:23 am

Outside of Ibanez, Danelectro, and some off brands, does any other companies manufacture short scale bass guitars? I would love to see more companies start manufacturing short scale models.
Jack
'Forgiven, forgotten, set free!'

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Short Scales

Post by foal30 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:52 am

Fender do the Musicmaster and Bronco
Gibson EB's are all SS

you could claim Rickenbacker because it is less than 34"

Hamer, Kubacki, both did 32" I reckon.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 am

hophner

jackthejesusfreak

Rondo short scale bass guitars?

Post by jackthejesusfreak » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I just added my third short scale bass to my collection of the two Ibanez shorties. It's a short scale black viola bass. Anybody own any short scale bass guitars from Rondo? If so, how do you like them?
'Forgiven, forgotten, set free!'

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Jack, I just merged your new thread into this one, there isn't a need for a whole new thread when you have already made one on this topic!

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 pm

i thought about a short scale bass if my kids go for it - what are the reasons for getting one?

bassbro

Post by bassbro » Thu May 21, 2009 2:49 pm

ryla wrote:i thought about a short scale bass if my kids go for it - what are the reasons for getting one?
some people like them for when they are travelling

i knew a guy in melbourne who had one, used to take it to work and do scales in his luch break, was easy to take on public transport

other than that I guess good for kids or people with small hand (carnies :) )

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu May 21, 2009 3:57 pm

i find they're great for sit-down fun sessions where you can't be arsed stretching yoself. also fun for trying out extended chord shapes without getting crippled monkey fingers.

ampeg dan armstrong, fender mustang, rickenbacker 3000 and most mosrite models are some other nicer shorties around.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

theEB3boy

Post by theEB3boy » Sat May 30, 2009 10:22 am

Short scale to me is 30". My first was a Fender Mustang, then a Gibson Les Paul Triumph.... now I have a 1967 Gibson EB3 which Chris Tate (the premier FOH soundman) says has one of the deepest bottom ends he's ever mixed. So - why use short scale? Well I think the long neck philosophy of - "the longer the string the deeper the notes" is wrong. The tone you achieve is s a combination of the strings you use, materials (the woods basically), how you play it and the electronics (pickups in the main). I always use flatwound and my preference are the Rotosound Trubass which are flatwound wrapped in black plastic. Deeeeeeeeeep.

34" basses are fine if you have long fingers and wide hands. Otherwise - head down to 30" and give it a go.

monster
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Easy, Taranaki Symphony Orchestra

Post by monster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 pm

I've got a 30" scale Epiphone Viola bass that I've had since (hang on...) 1996. Plays really nicely and has a perfectly acceptable tone. You can certainly get nice deep tones from it and the back pickup by itself gives quite a funky tone (although I tend to use both pickups on full). Also gives nice controllable feedback with lots of fuzz... :-)
Certainly is easy to play for 3 or 4 hour gigs - much lighter than the 4001...

bassnut14
Bronze Member

Post by bassnut14 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Birdsong do nothing but.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 pm

My Gretsch Broadkaster is a short scale bass,awesome neck,great for small hands like mine,now I want a solid body short scale bass,thinking along the lines of a bronco or similar.

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:27 pm

I made a 30" Bass VI clone once. Kinda cool, but seems more like a long guitar than a short bass.

I have another one on the shelf of unfinished shame and a 28"/25" fanned fret one due to be finished soon as.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:14 am

ash wrote:I made a 30" Bass VI clone once. Kinda cool, but seems more like a long guitar than a short bass.

I have another one on the shelf of unfinished shame and a 28"/25" fanned fret one due to be finished soon as.
would you consider selling either baritone? i've been thinking recently that something like that would be an interesting addition to my arsenal and sound...
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:48 pm

model.citizen wrote: would you consider selling either baritone? i've been thinking recently that something like that would be an interesting addition to my arsenal and sound...
Of course. I only make them to sell them :wink:

The Bass VI is long sold, but the fanned one will be available in a month or so. The other 30" one can be claimed at any time or something custom can be conjoured up.