Show us your Bass!

Your weapon of choice
Chip

Post by Chip » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:48 am

Primarily a MusicMan StingRay 5, secondly an Ibanez ATK (which I rate highly for an int kinda bass - modeled on the MusicMan, but I reckon that it has a bettter weight distribution for the way i play, my MusicMan sounds a bit better tho).

I love those Beatles Hofners! I used one doing some recording for Riki Gooch when he was up here. It was Neil Finn's so I had to take very good care of it. Yeah it's a kinda crappy sound, but was perfect for a kind afro-laced funk kinda ditty.

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:14 am

my first bass was an ibanez soundgear 5 string, followed by a Fender JP-90 (should of never sold that!), followed by Fender Jazz and now - wait for it...

a HONDO Fame series (80's)! :lol: lol.

i've pimped it with Ibanez pickups and it sounds sweet. okay, not 'high end sweet' but well playable/ recordable. i love this bass for its weight, size and neck. with the better pickups and good quality strings it sounds better than my J-Bass did - straight up!
:D

HONDO = mexican chicano gangsta steez ! haha :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/definiteandbling
http://www.myspace.com/djdefinitenz

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:41 pm

As per my signature...

Just sold my passive Jazz, and until I find a nice 60's or 70's one, I'll probably look for a good, second-hand Roscoe Beck IV.

Quite keen to add a Line 6 Variax Bass 700 at some stage to cover everything else I don't own.
99 Peavey Cirrus 4 Walnut Fretless, 98 Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, 96 Epi El Capitan-4, 99 Warwick W-CL, Johnson J-Station, Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 & Acoustic ADI21, Daphon E20CM, E20DS & E20PH, Boss CE-2B & EH-2, other instruments & things

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:45 pm

While I was in Dubai a couple years back Fender gave me a Roscoe Beck 5 to play for a while, and to be honest I really didn't like it. Couldn't get the action comfortable, and the sound really wasn't my cup of tea.

All my opinion of course :mrgreen:

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 pm

The RB requires some time to get to grips with what it has on offer. Not at all surprised you didn't like the RB V.
99 Peavey Cirrus 4 Walnut Fretless, 98 Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, 96 Epi El Capitan-4, 99 Warwick W-CL, Johnson J-Station, Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 & Acoustic ADI21, Daphon E20CM, E20DS & E20PH, Boss CE-2B & EH-2, other instruments & things

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:31 am

Well im not as rich or dedicated as most people here id say :D , My favourite bass is my Sub Bass Musicman... cheap compared to a stingray, but i love it! good value for money. Solidly built, feels like you could use it as a club, good sound, recomend it to any one after mid price range bass. Ive also got two fender semi acoustics, a washburn semi acoustic and a really nice yamaha, its at my girl friends place so cant say what the model is yet, but i like it.(ive never really paid much attention to model etc when buyin basses, just tooto til i find one i like in price range.) The yamaha is an RBX750A. also edit in here ive also got a mandolin and 2 violins...thank god there where no chellows in new plymouth is all i can say.
Last edited by Randomplay on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:49 am

Well im not as rich or dedicated as most people here id say
lol... my entire rig cost me a little over a grand off of TradeMe :) and I am proud. Some of the local dudes here have single speaker bins worth more than my entire rig. Or gig rigs worth more than all of my musical equipment combined (including practice amps and all my basses). You do have to pay for quality although shopping around can render some brilliant deals.
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:58 am

Randomplay wrote:My favourite bass is my Sub Bass Musicman... cheap compared to a stingray
Yeah I've heard good things about them from a friend who has one. Good things don't have to be expensive. 8)

Not to be mistaken with the OLP Musicman basses. I don't mean to offend any owners here but Musicman was nuts to put their name on them... nasty nasty nasty... don't touch newbies... the price my be sexy but so am I with the lights off :shock: ... just don't go there . (Just my humble opinion of course after randomly testing 3 of them).

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:32 pm

lol... my entire rig cost me a little over a grand off of TradeMe
Its not how much anything costs, unless one is into snobbery - it is mainly what use it is to the owner, imo.

If it cost you $100 and you love it, who cares? Its right for you! :)

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:44 am

BrendonM wrote:my entire rig cost me a little over a grand off of TradeMe :) and I am proud. Some of the local dudes here have single speaker bins worth more than my entire rig.
Hehe, guilty :oops:

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Ibanez Soundgear.
The most embarrassing piece of gear I have owned, but I got it when I was very young and the tiny neck was good to learn on.
I own an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string and I'm not in the least bit embarrassed.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:57 pm

Cory wrote:
Ibanez Soundgear.
The most embarrassing piece of gear I have owned, but I got it when I was very young and the tiny neck was good to learn on.
I own an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string and I'm not in the least bit embarrassed.
It just wasn't my thing.

If you don't mind me asking though, do you think they are a good looking bass?
(not taking the piss, I’m genuinely interested)

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:57 am

Timi, horses for courses - different folk - personal tastes and all that - LOL

Each of us can only comment on our own experiences and preferences and for me, Ibanez is but one of the brands of bass and guitar which just don't 'fit' me. That doesn't make them crap, just not for me. Others love them and that's cool for them.

I've played several Ibanez basses and only ever liked one of them. It was a fretless 4 string and played like a dream, but it was so butt-ugly (I didn't even plug it in at the shop in case someone saw me) that I just couldn't bring myself to buy it, 'cos I too would have been embarrassed to be seen in public with it - much like Toyota cars.

Silly isn't it.

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 pm

just got a mint used Washburn Bantam-XB800. so far so good...

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Washburn Bantam-XB800
nice - I got the XB400 when they first came out. Mine was a natural finish, what colour is yours? I found the Bantam to be a good reliable bass with good tone for the money. Look after this instrument and it'll make for a good casual bass to play with.

Regarding Ibanez basses:
I have had many Ibanez basses over the years. I thoroughly regret selling my Ibanez musician to 'upgrade' to the Fender Prodigy. I went for the Prodigy thinking it would be a great way to get into the Fender family (being the new release at the time), however I found the Prodigy I bought to be a little weak- I even had a pickup bust in half on stage once. The tone was never the same and I pretty much lost the equity I had accumulated in that succession of basses at that point. I bet the Ibanez Musician is still trucking along somewhere out in the world.
I prefer the older Japanese assembled Ibanez to the cheaper Thai variant, however in saying that the newer models i.e. are excellent basses.
I have an Ibanez Soundgear 6 string which I have found to be an excellent all round bass and have had many compliments from bassists better than I whom never thought much of them until they played mine, which has a very balance volume and tone along and across the entire kneck. Plus the active pickups have a nice full range. The string spacing is quite forgiving in that it is closer than many other 6's I have played, but not by much.
Some of the early Ibanez Soundgear basses used to suffered from twisting necks which always discouraged me from buying one, however over time I heard less and less of that. The tone always appealed to me, plus in their day they were the technically advanced bass, however Warwick have certainly taken that ball and run with it.
I can honestly say I like the look of them, when I look at them I think of the history of that bass and many of the great players I have seen use one.
Last year I toured backing a band called 10CC, and I'll note that Graham Gouldsborough of 10CC tours with a white Fender Jazz and an Ibanez Soundgear Prestige. He plays through Hughes and Kettner amplification and gets a nice sound.
If money was not a consideration I'd buy the following Ibanez basses for my collection:
- Soundgear Prestige (to upgrade)
- BTB Prestige (to upgrade)
- An old Ibanez Musician (for the old Vintage sound)
- An Ibanez Roadstar (out of rock nostalgia)
(plus the other makes I like of course e.g. Fender, Musicman...)
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic