Warwick basses?

Your weapon of choice
Scottbass
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/scottbassnz
Bands / Groups: Soul Deep...a 12 piece soul/funk/r+b band residing in Dunedin

Re: Warwick basses?

Post by Scottbass » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:45 pm

i was pleasantly surprised he even let me play it

one of my first basses was a STEINBERGER copy, far from sounding or playing like a STEINBERGER but still looked real funky!

Ara

Post by Ara » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:04 am

Damm - a lot of Warwick haters out there! I played my 4 string 70s Jazz Bass and 80s Steinberger on the road and they would always have little niggles with them cause they were old. I love the basses but thought it was time to stop touring with them.

Enter the Warwick Corvette 6 string that I tried as I was curious to see what one sounded like. TONE WAS BUTTA!!! The bass was so good I had to buy it right there and then even though I had no money! It weighed a tonne and gave me some chronic shoulder pains to begin with. I had to man up and take it as the Bass sounded that dam good!! Ugghh!!!

Pilbromatic

Post by Pilbromatic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:57 pm

I'm personally not into Warwick. How many professionals are? I havn't seen many around in the pro market to be honest... But if you like their tone then sure!

However, my bass tutor (one of the best jazz players in the country) says definately DO NOT touch them!

I can't say much about them myself, I've barely played them, and aside from tone, feel, and reliability, I just downright hate the look of them. Not trying to be negative! Just throwing my opinion out there...

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Pilbromatic wrote:However, my bass tutor (one of the best jazz players in the country) says definately DO NOT touch them!
If you are playing jazz you shouldn't be using any bass guitar :wink:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:54 pm

timi wrote: If you are playing jazz you shouldn't be using any bass guitar :wink:
:lol: Yes double bass or nothing

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Pilbromatic wrote:I'm personally not into Warwick. How many professionals are? I havn't seen many around in the pro market to be honest... But if you like their tone then sure!

However, my bass tutor (one of the best jazz players in the country) says definately DO NOT touch them!

I can't say much about them myself, I've barely played them, and aside from tone, feel, and reliability, I just downright hate the look of them. Not trying to be negative! Just throwing my opinion out there...
I really hate the look of them too. But I think they play and sound good and some pros do use them.
Your tutor, no matter how good s/he is, is entitled to his opinion . I wonder how much time s/he has given them to say "Definitely don't touch them" Do they mean all models?

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Your tutor isn't Alberto is it?? haha.

Its pretty ignorant to flat out recommend against a brand. Whilst for me also, Warwick wouldn't be one of my top choices....some people love them to bits.

Pstewart
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Pach'amama - Dub/Soul/Funk/Hip-Hop
The Stray Dogs - Alternative/Funk/Rock
Steele/Bringzen/Stewart/Wratt (C.B.SIMBa) - Jazz~
The Projects - Funk/Soul/Covers

Post by Pstewart » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:19 pm

john wrote: :lol: Yes double bass or nothing
+1! :P
"A good bass is like having your guts massaged from the inside."

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:00 pm

you guys should lay your hands on the warwick star bass in rs k rd. very very nice.
sorry mate, if your tutor says stay away from them? ask him to start teaching you some proper stuff =p just kidding.
a bass is only s good as what your hands and ears say. we all have different hands. thats why we all have different basses.

i use my girl's bass at times when i forget mine, its a pretty warwick streamer lx. one of the discontinued models, very nice. i wouldnt buy it, but i definitely would play it.
Pilbromatic wrote:I'm personally not into Warwick. How many professionals are?
so your a pro? just kidding =p i've done a few sound gigs where the bassist was using warwicks. lets just say you might be looking in the wrong market (genre)?

=p
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:40 pm

I haven't tried enough of them to make a call on the brand as a whole. The few I have tried happened to all have a grainy feel to the neck which I can't stand. There is a big market for Warick which must speak for itself ... otherwise why would the RS stock so many of them?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:05 am

yeah.i feel the same bout most of their necks. but the ones with high gloss finishes on the necks are sweet. the maple ones too.
my whole thing with them is just i dont like the shape of the neck on most of their basses. other than that they are pretty sweet. sweet finishes, good wood, nice woody tones.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:41 pm

beagle wrote:There is a big market for Warick which must speak for itself ... otherwise why would the RS stock so many of them?
Because they import Warwick themselves with massive margin, and they know that tons of people will buy whatever they push in their stores..... :wink:

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Yeah I was waiting for someone to say that.. thanks timi :)
Yes the rock shop wouldn't stock them unless they made the $... but are they holding guns to peoples heads?
Newbie players who don't know what to look for are likely to buy off brand name alone but over time if Warick didn't have any substance the market would eventually dry up. Warwick's been around and popular for a very long time has it not?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:45 pm

+1 to what timi said. that said. lots of times, RS gets a dealership contract exclusive, and kinds of drops it off afterwhile, hence not being able to get stock of most stuff (i know this doesnt happen most of the time) but im very sure it does. lets face it. walk into a RS and there would be more warwicks than any other brand of basses.... i think..... but they make good basses. and they sell...

in terms of design, excluding the electronics, spectors are quite close to warwicks. not so much as the grainy necks and pickup selections tho. and ofcourse alot more of stuff. some ppl will say spector wat? who on earth is stuart spector.....

thats the same thing with G&L's, when people are just looking for fenders, they will never really find the G&L stuff appealing.
people say headstocks, people say finish. etc etc. i say crap resale market =p (that said im deciding on my custom order jb2 this week!)

people buy what the sales ppl sell them (like what timi said). when at work, yes i do push the brands my boss carries, but i talk about other brands as well, the ups and downs of both brands. but i try to get them to realise how comfortable it is in their hands, and to some extent how it looks.

some people... still end up looking at the logo. :?

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Warwick owes Spector Proprietary.

the Streamer is the NS-2

there is numerous online articles on this contentious issue, litigation and who paid what.

which may not change the fact if you like Warwick go for it!!