Warwick basses?

Your weapon of choice
MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: N/A
Bands / Groups: 4:20 then Mad Max now NoneTheLess & Doublewide.

Warwick basses?

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:24 am

Warwick bass comments?
Peavey stack, Firebass / Deltabass, 410TvX, 115BvX, random Zoom effects (beer soaked Nobels ODR-B live), Modded natural finish Yamaha RBX-270 (changed to active, seymour duncan P/J basslines, gotoh hardware and bridge.) http://www.myspace.com/meshuggahn8

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member

Re: Warwick basses?

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:31 am

I'm currently in the market for a new gat, would love some imput from any warwick supporters out there about a few models, 1: Warwick double buck ($$) 2: Warwick Fortress one (NOT the rockbass version! The old german made version.)

I'm really looking for a replacement for my Yamaha, which has served me well but is kinda old now, Heard good things about the fortress one (and it suits my playing style being P/J) but they are rare as rocking horse poo to find nowadays. The doublebuck interests me cause of the double humbuckers but have heard it can be a bit of a pig to play fingerstlye?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! < N8 >
Peavey stack, Firebass / Deltabass, 410TvX, 115BvX, random Zoom effects (beer soaked Nobels ODR-B live), Modded natural finish Yamaha RBX-270 (changed to active, seymour duncan P/J basslines, gotoh hardware and bridge.) http://www.myspace.com/meshuggahn8

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:37 pm

I've played a couple and they felt ok to play, but I just didn't like their shape/look and their sound was too indistinct for me. Shallow I know, but it all contributes to one's enjoyment.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 pm

I mean no disrespect to people who like Warwick (its all personal taste remember!), but I would quit bass before playing a Warwick. I am 100% serious.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: not available
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:27 pm

The best Warwick I have played was an old first series Fortress. Had a good arse end and could stand being slapped without trebling out and going all brittle.
I wanted to try a Flashback 5 w/ 2tek bridge but none available in NZ.
all the 5's I have tried were awful, B string not good, plus I like real string spacing, the Warwick's I have tried are just to narrow for my clumsy attack.
The Corvette 5 a student of mine bought he loved, but he plays Metal and uses a Pick so the old horses for courses thing.

I think my main tone problem with Warwick is there a bit "modern" for me...I like a more rounded sound.

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:02 pm

Everything I have read / heard about old warwick 4tress 4strings is mint. I have turned down buying 2 of these in the past (both of which were the nirvana black stain colour, with the gold hardware) which are rare apparently. Whatever I go with its gotta slap nice, and have that "jazz at the back" growl. Another bass that may be an option is the Fender dimension IV.....

implandnoises
Bronze Member

Post by implandnoises » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Can't help you much except to say that the few Warwicks I have played just didn't feel good. Fingerboard especially. Something not quite right - not sure what. And they weren't cheap old buggers either - supposedly top notch.

I guess the only way for you to know is to find a Fortress and play it - play it hard. But you say they are rare so....

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:23 pm

where is RP?
he scored a Corvette $$ 5 a few months back so he's the man to help there.
maybe If someone could insert a joke at the expense of Dairy Farmers in general we might flush him out...

MeshuggahN8
Bronze Member

Post by MeshuggahN8 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:46 pm

You know what? I'm starting to think for 2K I'd be better off getting a custom bass made!Just found out about http://www.Ashcustomworks.com. Could be just what the doctor ordered! Or what I ordered even! lol.

But before i do, has anyone got any suggestions in gats I should consider? Specs are as follows:

Must be 24 fret, (just used to it now)

Must have P/J config, (I like the versatility)

Must be "reasonably" light, (we have some seriously long jams)

Must be available in "natural" wood finish, or wood stain etc...(I dig the "wood" look)

Under 2K(ish)! Thats it easy to please eh? :wink:

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:30 am

Adrian - (Ash Customworks) will do an awesome job for you, mate. He's a hell of a nice bloke and his work is brilliant. He's giving my old P bass some TLC at the mo. You'd end up with something to exactly suit your taste and it'd be unique!! hard to go past if you want to spend $2k on a bass.

(Mind you, he does have his faults - he likes that natural wood look also. Strange tastes people have!!) LOL

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Also keep in mind that a custom made bass is very hard to sell if you aren't into it in a few years.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 pm

+1 Adrian at ash customworks sets my bass up beaut when it needs it, he has some nice looking instruments and material lying about and has some tastful ideas on custom instruments, seems like a great idea.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:44 am

Timi is correct.

Quality is never as important as the logo on the headstock when you want to sell it....

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:10 pm

Well im gonna have to stick up for the Warwicks i see... ive got a $$ 5 string, and the range o tones etc you can get out of it makes it an extremely versatile bass, passive/active switch, with the two humbuckers having coil selectors (dont know official term) you can get that mean punchy musicman type tone outta it or classic jass bass tone... The only thing id change is spacing the strings a bit more... ugly as sin admittadly... but who the hell plays bass to look pretty? 8)

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:57 pm

I do
That is why I have a STEINBERGER.

and where have you been?