NBD - Well Tuesday in fact...

Your weapon of choice
BluesBass
Gold Member

NBD - Well Tuesday in fact...

Post by BluesBass » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Picked up one of these... in a part trade - part cash deal:

G&L L-2500 Tribute

I had a quick play yesterday... plugged it in, turned on the amp and all sorts of hell was unleashed.
Quickly I realised that it's an active MoFo of course, and after quick change of the battery later (thanks to an unknown contributor at the ABC Blues Jam), normality was restored...
This made me think "did the cat that did the deal know or realise the battery was dead, or did he think the bass itself was poked"?

I normally don't normally play active basses, so I can see me mostly using the passive switch.
The neck is obviously a lot bigger than I am used too, and this sucker is quite heavy.
I can't comment on the tone as yet because I haven't time for a good play with the controls, but she certainly is well put together, and looks great.
The bridge is huge!
One gripe though... why hide the battery in the wiring cavity underneath the back plate held in place by 6 screws?
A quick release hatch like you have in Laklands et al would be sooo much better.

Anyhow, all good - I'll enjoy getting to know her a bit more over the coming weeks :D

john
Gold Member

Re: NBD - Well Tuesday in fact...

Post by john » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Congrats. From what I have read on line they are really nice basses.

Harley
Gold Member

Re: NBD - Well Tuesday in fact...

Post by Harley » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:18 pm

This is one of the best 'low cost - made in Asia under license somewhere' basses I have ever played when it comes to the passive mode.

I didn't care much for the active mode at all, but that passive sure made an impression. If one came up at the right price, I'd grab it. :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info