IBANEZ vs ESP

Your weapon of choice
dannowilso
Bronze Member

Re: IBANEZ vs ESP

Post by dannowilso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:53 pm

I'd go with the Ibanez because I think being in a metal band you need all the help you can to find your own tone and I think the twin humbuckers will help you with this, this looks like quite a versatile bass.

Although I think you should go into the shop with a mate and close your eyes and get your mate to hand you each guitar without telling you which one it is and whichever one sounds and plays best is your best bet.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Re: I need feedback!

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:07 am

Harley wrote:
The reason you are buying a bass in the first place is to make a sound.

You aren't in the band to win a photo competition.

Your audience is there primarily to hear you.
The audience doesn't stand there with their eyes closed. The average person usually says 'I went and saw a band play last night" rather than "I went and listened to a band last night". If you think your bass looks awesome, it will make you feel more awesome, and inspire a much better performance, and you're more likely to jump round and go nuts. There's nothing worse than going to see a band which is visually boring, it makes the music seem artificially dull.The general public aren't gonna pick up on every nuance of the bass tone, and the basses in question aren't gonna break any tone barriers. As mjwhit and timi said, you want a bass that makes you want to pick it up, and if it's ugly as sin, you ain't gonna go near it.

If somebody was offering to give me the best sounding bass in the world, and it looked like a warwick, I'd tell them to keep it.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 am

ryanmaiden wrote:If somebody was offering to give me the best sounding bass in the world, and it looked like a warwick, I'd tell them to keep it.
I dunno......Emma Anzai has always looked pretty half decent holding onto a warwick, and she has some hell chops too!!

Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

joppo

Post by joppo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Ah, but the flaw in you logic there Dan is that you infer you were looking at the bass in the photograph. If that was a picture of Ryan (sorry Ryan, the reference is pure for the purposes of my arguement and no offence is intended! :lol: ) you might be more critical of the look of the bass!

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

joppo wrote:Ah, but the flaw in you logic there Dan is that you infer you were looking at the bass in the photograph. If that was a picture of Ryan (sorry Ryan, the reference is pure for the purposes of my arguement and no offence is intended! :lol: ) you might be more critical of the look of the bass!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good call!!

ryanmaiden
Silver Member

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm

It took me a good 20 seconds to even notice she had a bass, haha.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 pm

beagle wrote:
Harley wrote: The reason you are buying a bass in the first place is to make a sound.
You aren't in the band to win a photo competition.
Your audience is there primarily to hear you.
Not so sure that's the case with the Y generation Harley.
That would explain a lot of mysteries to me!
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:51 pm

ryanmaiden wrote:If somebody had a gun to my head and forced me to pick one, I'd grab the ESP. There's not much separating these basses apart from looks, and the ESP looks much cooler.
There's something with that Ibanez headstock that really makes me want to snap it off and burn it.
A-boom boom boom boom!

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 pm

ryanmaiden wrote: There's nothing worse than going to see a band which is visually boring, it makes the music seem artificially dull..
It's more the influences of the wrong attitude, lack of energy, wrong dress and 'lack of ownership of the music' they are playing, that makes a band boring than the look of the instruments they play.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

ryanmaiden
Silver Member

Post by ryanmaiden » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:14 am

Harley wrote:It's more the influences of the wrong attitude, lack of energy, wrong dress and 'lack of ownership of the music' they are playing, that makes a band boring than the look of the instruments they play.
If a musician doesn't like the way their instrument looks, these things will be the flow on effect. If you don't like your instrument, you are not going to put in the same sort of energy and soul.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:40 pm

And this, everybody, is why any self-respecting bassist (and guitarist) shells out on "cosmetic" upgrades. Sure, that new pickguard doesn't make your bass sound any better, but it sure as hell makes you feel like your bass is a better instrument.

Okay, so i'm the guy who's color matching all the hardware on his project guitar gold (including the screws), but never mind me :lol:
A-boom boom boom boom!