IBANEZ vs ESP

Your weapon of choice
Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

IBANEZ vs ESP

Post by Sunjae » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Which one of these brands would be best for genres like metal, heavy metal, extreme metal, metalcore etc.
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

Dan

Re: IBANEZ vs ESP

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:34 pm

Perhaps a Danelectro, or even a Hofner would be perfect.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Hofner would be perfect.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm

dude, anything with roundwound strings can be used. hell, chi chen from Deftones plays a P with flatwounds and still murders the low end. but maybe a hofner's not really gonna cut it :wink: but ya never know...

1. figure out your budget.

2. sit down at a shop and play a number of basses (ideally through a few different amps) and see what you like the feel and sound of.

3. buy that model new or used.

4. play it.

5. find in a while that the instrument doesn't look/feel/sound/weigh/sit in the mix/fellate to your exact tastes.

6. go back to step 1. repeat ad nauseum until you find "your" sound. then go back to step 1, but buying all the variations of your now-favourite axe instead :D
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Just get a black Fender.

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Post by mjwhit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:44 pm

model.citizen wrote:
1. figure out your budget.

2. sit down at a shop and play a number of basses (ideally through a few different amps) and see what you like the feel and sound of.

3. buy that model new or used.

4. play it.

5. find in a while that the instrument doesn't look/feel/sound/weigh/sit in the mix/fellate to your exact tastes.

6. go back to step 1. repeat ad nauseum until you find "your" sound. then go back to step 1, but buying all the variations of your now-favourite axe instead :D
Sounds like someones lifestory :D ....Unfortunatly it's just the way it is.

I really like esps, just not the metal style ones (F series etc, just the appearance though). My first 'big' bass purchase was a new esp b254. After three years I realised I wanted something new.

And heres a piece of advice not too many people give: make sure you LOVE what it looks like. When you see a bass in your room/wherever you keep your bass and it makes you want to pick it up and play, then you have success.

The only way you are going to find the bass that suits you is by looking at and playing lots ( and often buying lots too). A bunch of random people on the internet cannot tell you what you like or dislike. Both ESP and Ibanez are decent brands, but keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Good luck in your search.

Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris

Post by Sunjae » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:17 pm

mjwhit wrote: And heres a piece of advice not too many people give: make sure you LOVE what it looks like. When you see a bass in your room/wherever you keep your bass and it makes you want to pick it up and play, then you have success.
Pretty much.

I'm sure I could find an Ibanez or ESP bass that I would be happy with the sound and feel of, but I HATE the way they look and that's what makes them so unappealing to me. Looks are really the least important thing but they really make or break an instrument.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:21 am

While there may be some advantages for picking one bass over another for metal, most of it comes down to the person playing it.

If the guitarists in your band have more than 6 strings, you'll probably want to go for a bass with more than four so you can hit notes lower than what they can, otherwise the bass will get lost in all the guitar low end.

That's probably the only thing you need to worry about.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Sunjae
Bronze Member

Re: IBANEZ SRX300 vs ESP LTD B-50

Post by Sunjae » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 am

Bassists, make your choice!

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:03 pm

neither.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Sunjae
Bronze Member

I need feedback!

Post by Sunjae » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 pm

I am having so much trouble deciding which bass i should buy. I like both of these basses and i can afford either one but i can only get one. The ESP has active pick-ups and electronics and also looks amazing but then the Ibanez has a thinner neck and has more control of tone. PLEASE HELP!
Attachments
ibanez srx300 pic2.jpg
Ibanez Bass
esp ltd b-50.jpg
ESP Bass

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 am

If somebody had a gun to my head and forced me to pick one, I'd grab the ESP. There's not much separating these basses apart from looks, and the ESP looks much cooler.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Harley
Gold Member

Re: I need feedback!

Post by Harley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 am

Sunjae wrote:.. but then the Ibanez has a thinner neck and has more control of tone. PLEASE HELP!
Then you've answered your own question. :mrgreen:

The reason you are buying a bass in the first place is to make a sound.

You aren't in the band to win a photo competition.

Your audience is there primarily to hear you.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Harley wrote: The reason you are buying a bass in the first place is to make a sound.
You aren't in the band to win a photo competition.
Your audience is there primarily to hear you.
Not so sure that's the case with the Y generation Harley.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T