Boss Overdrive

Effects pedals or devices to alter the sound of your bass
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Boss Overdrive

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Just picked up my odb3 bass overdrive pedal this arvo from rs. Hanging out for tomorrow's jam session to try it out, I've got a few settings I've noted to try out so far, But who else has had experience/owns one of these units? What's your favourite sound/setting on it? Not trying to steal other people's signature sound/tone, just enjoy playing around and experimenting with different effects. :)
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Boss Overdrive

Post by foal30 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:31 pm

oft cited and well respected review here mate;
http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=194
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:05 am

never owned one myself, but from alot of reports i've read, and from hearing the unit, the main advice (well, this applies to nearly any effect or amp tone) is NOT to dial in your smooth, musical solo tone at home.

usually what sounds mint solo just gets completely lost in the mix with other players. my distortion tone, solo'ed, is quite nasty and almost unmusical at times, but necessary so i'm not cast into the background. of course it depends on the musical and band context.

but, in short, don't scoop them mids too much :D
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 am

It should really be called a distortion rather than overdrive imo.

I had one briefly, quite full on and too buzzy/fizzy for me, I felt it performed best as an "effect" rather than a mild overdrive you could use the whole time. I found it worked with my Jazz but not at all with my Precision, but I feel that way about most drive pedals on bass. Blend control is handy if you want to add just a little bit of edge without totally changing your tone.

Lots of people like them, lots of people hate them. I hope it works out for you.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 am

I had one of these for years and used it on guitar as well as bass. I really don't like it anymore. To my ears the top end is harsh and buzzy and it scoopes the mids out in a weird way. I agree with Timi that it works best as a full on effect that you punch in and out rather than something you leave on the whole time for your tone. Still, there are always applications for everything.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

I agree with Timi and Mark on this one. Not a subtle effect at all really, pretty full on distortion.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Had a good play around with it tonight (the pedal), and yep can understand what people mean. Yes it can be pretty full on and sound more distortion than overdrive! Found a setting I quite liked and then yep found second point, does sound different in the mix with the rest the band! After a play with settings again, found something I like, so have noted that one for future use, and will keep trying different options as well. Overall I'm happy, as it has given more that little bit more I was after.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:26 pm

I had one a couple years back and flicked it after a while - it compresses and distorts too much, couldnt seem to rein it in to the growl that I wanted...

Clorpet

Post by Clorpet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I have Tokai overdrive:

Level 50%
Tone 50-75%
Overdrive 75 - 100%

Turn down all tone on guitar itself. As an "effect" whack all the tone on guitar back on. Works for me.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:43 am

You have a Shuttle 6.0, so you can overdrive that with the pre-amp?

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:45 am

Slave to the Rhythm Changes