POLL:: How many Packets of Bass Strings per year?

For BassPlayer.co.nz sponsoring businesses to advertise anything music related. New products, specials etc. Only businesses can start topics here.

What number would a years supply of bass strings be

33%
17%
50%

Total votes: 6

nzsimon
Silver Member

POLL:: How many Packets of Bass Strings per year?

Post by nzsimon » Mon May 21, 2007 1:16 pm

We are doing a promo thing soon and I need some advice on one of the ideas I have

If you were to be offered a years supply of bass strings free how many packets of strings would you expect that to be ?

I know some will say a packet a week and some will think a packet a year I need to know the middle ground what number would be looked upon as the right number

Your advice will be appreciated
believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon May 21, 2007 1:34 pm

I dont really think it could be done.

12 is probably too many for a lot of people, but anything less might get laughed at by pro musicians who change strings every week or two.

Personally, I probably go through an average of 4 sets per bass per year, but if I only had one bass it would be way more.

12 is probably fairly safe, otherwise why not just label it "a dozen" rather than "a years supply". You could even do "a bassists dozen" with 13.....

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon May 21, 2007 1:56 pm

I agree with Timi ~ too hard basket!!

When I was in a changing strings mode - probably 6 sets a year would have been tops. Nowadays is 1 set per 6 years, or more...

I like the bassist's dozen idea - has a good feel to it!!

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon May 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Definitely tough to gauge.

In busy session periods I'm definitely changing once a week, otherwise every 3 weeks or so. So for me personally, I'd say 15ish.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Mon May 21, 2007 2:16 pm

In regards to the frequency with which you change your strings, what was it - 'change them when YOU think you should change them, NOT when someone else thinks you should, be they pro or whatever, being 'laughed at' is ridiculous, for the record - i would be in the 6 times a year group and have voted as such - maybe this thread should be moved to the strings section.

Cory
Bronze Member

Post by Cory » Mon May 21, 2007 3:40 pm

I change my strings at least every 3 months but that is simply because I can't afford to do it more often. Idealy I would like to change strings every month.

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Mon May 21, 2007 4:31 pm

Thanks fellas I like the bassist Dozen Idea that may work
It isn't so much about how often "You " change strings it's more about gaining an understanding on what people think is a good thing

i.e. win a years supply if you get 4 packets does that leave a sour taste my feeling is yes
I like the years supply concept but want to have the numbers to give a " that's cool " feeling rather than a whooptiedoo feeling

For example I won a week at club med some years back well it turned out to be 5 days except you arrived at midnight on the first day and had to leave at 2 am on the last day to get to the airport at 4 am for the 6 am flight so in actual fact it was 3 days

It was a bit dissappointing to find a week became 3 days and we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but... human nature and all that

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon May 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Sounds like a good idea anyways Simon!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon May 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Just give away a years supply of flatwounds.

1 set, no arguments.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:06 pm

good call ,on the flat wound. made laugh aloud

nzsimon
Silver Member

Result

Post by nzsimon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:34 pm

With Our Markbass day on the 16th what we decided to do and the reason for the question originally was to call it a years supply of Bass strings with every Markbass sale but make it limited to a Dollar amount that way we could cater for any eventuality 4-5 -6 or even flats

$350 works out at 14 sets of 4 12 sets of 5 or 9 sets of 6 so it sort of keeps everyone happy

Well here's hopeing anyway