Instrument Cables with Built in Kill Switches

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Instrument Cables with Built in Kill Switches

Post by beagle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:56 pm

I've been looking into instrument cables that can be 'switched off' at the guitar end while still plugged in the amp. The main reason is to be able to quickly change to a different bass without having turn down or uplug the amp to avoid getting any horrid pop, crackle, buzz or hiss.

Dan uses the only one I've found on sale in NZ. This is a planet waves cable sold in the RS for around $55. Here's a link http://www.zzounds.com/item--PTWPWAG
It has a switch on the jack with turns the signal off before you pull it out.

I also found this belkin one online but I dunno if it's available here... but I think those female jack adaptors are unreliable. The magnetic connector is a great idea tho. http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/release ... kFree.html

Then I found these Snapjack cables which I recon look wicked!!!!! The jacks are held together magnetically, can be changed super quick, and it cuts the signal straight away. You just buy extra connectors for each bass you want to switch between.
Has anyone tried them? There doesn't appear to be an nz dealer so importing is the way to go i recon.
http://www.snapjackcables.com/
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Re: Instrument Cables with Built in Kill Switches

Post by Jazzbass » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:36 pm

We used to use them in the '70s, but I haven't seen them around for years. I think they were switchcraft?

These days I just use a Boss A/B switch pedal. No mucking about. 2 instruments always plugged in - put one down and pick t'other up. Push footswitch. Easy as.

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

I have one of the Planet Waves ones from the Rock Shop and love it. You can change basses in a flash without any nasty pops, and also works as a mute switch if needed.

Haven't seen those magnetic ones, but they do look like they would do the business for changing basses 8)

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:56 am

i just switch on my (silent) tuner - can't see a need for a lead to do the same to be honest!

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Funny you should say that def cause last night I remembered that my pedal tuner does that also and it certainly does the job.
Still not as convienient for me as I don't normal use any pedals or have the tuner inline.
I really like Rog's use of an AB box too but the extra lead lying around is a negative to me.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Ah well, it works for me mate. :D
On guitar, I'll sometimes have the A/B switch the other way round and switch one gat into 2 different amps.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Yeah that's a good use for it. I checked out the RS site and they have a special on the Boss AB switc for $55. I'm still very tempted to look down that route a. How often do you have to change the batteries Rog?

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:45 pm

I still have the original set in and that was after about 30-40 uses at practices and gigs.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:46 pm

beagle wrote:Yeah that's a good use for it. I checked out the RS site and they have a special on the Boss AB switc for $55. I'm still very tempted to look down that route a. How often do you have to change the batteries Rog?
You could make one for about $30

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 am

At $50, it not worthwhile making your own, John. The boss is silent switching with shiny things, leds etc and a nice blue colour, with big friendly writing saying Don't Panic! on it!! :D

Ok, I lied about the Don't Panic bit. :D

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 pm

I use a rack tuner, which means the jack is much easier for muting for me personally. Its been going strong for a couple years now....plus its the only jack that fits into my Yamaha properly!! Loose damn bass :P

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:45 am

Is that a loose output jack on the bass Dan?

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:16 pm

i put on the neutrik silent jacks on pretty much all my instrument to amp/board cables that i use live.
my favourites!!
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:30 am

Hey now that's exactly what I'm talking about irvinz! 8)
Where did you get those in nz and how much?

This must be the official site for them http://www.neutrik.com/content/products ... MSDE_audio

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:51 pm

They look like the biz!!
I wondered if they would degrade your signal but then I looked at the pics and found out that they just short the tip and sleeve using a small reed switch when the jack isn't inserted!

I want one.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.