Hi ! French bass player in Auckland

Welcome, Introduce yourself! Have any comments or ideas? It's your site, what do you want to see?
durandil

Hi ! French bass player in Auckland

Post by durandil » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi guys

I am a 27 year old french bass and keyboards player who just moved in Auckland. I graduated from Music Academy International (in Nancy, France) a few years ago. I used to play and teach bass in Paris since then, and now I'm about to do the same here :). Although I am fluent in almost every style, I mostly play funk, soul and pop rock. I am looking for opportunities to play in NZ. I usually work as a substitute bass player (last minute replacement), but I am also interested in mid/long term projects, as long as the people and the music are nice.
Two years ago, I got interested in how we learn and change. I have been studying NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) and coaching, and it definitely (and positively) changed my approach to teaching music. I will post something about this in the appropriate section soon.
About gear now, I had EBS amps (Fafner + Neo 212 + Neo 210) in France, I'll start with a Roland Cube 100 here. My basses are three MTD 635 (one fretless, all different woods) and a kickass Did (famous french luthier) Jazz V. The MTDs are still in Europe though, hope to bring them here next time I go there.
Last thing: I used to have parties/social events sometimes in France with other bass players from a similar forum. Do you guys do the same here ?

Stéphane

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Hi ! French bass player in Auckland

Post by foal30 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:36 pm

welcome aboard
by all means bring over the MTD
I can help store them if your short on space :)
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Yeah, welcome.

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Stéphane, welcome.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm

have a go at this Stephane
http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1350

Sean must be a bit shy to mention it. If I was in Auckland this would be first on the list of music joints to visit.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

durandil

Post by durandil » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:09 pm

foal30 wrote:have a go at this Stephane
http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1350

Sean must be a bit shy to mention it. If I was in Auckland this would be first on the list of music joints to visit.
I was looking for places like this, thanks a lot !

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Stéphane
Welcome to Auckland & BPNZ
There hasn't been enough interest by people to organise anything like this. We had one meet in Auckland that generated about 20 bass players.
Yep sounds like you've got some nice gear there.
Steve :-)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi Stéphane

Welcome to Auckland & BPNZ forum.

Have you just joined up on Activebass.com as well?

Harley
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

durandil

Post by durandil » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:18 am

beagle wrote: There hasn't been enough interest by people to organise anything like this. We had one meet in Auckland that generated about 20 bass players.
How about doing it again ? :)

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:50 am

Welcome to NZ and the forum,we are all pretty spread out around the country,although there seems to be alot in Auckland.

Bit too far for me to travel to sup some beers and chat about Bass :( as much as I would like to.

Good luck in finding some gigs too :D

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 am

Chris wrote:Welcome to NZ and the forum,we are all pretty spread out around the country,although there seems to be alot in Auckland.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here Chris. Most of the active site members are spread out all around the country which makes getting a decent number together difficult.
durandil wrote:How about doing it again ? :)
Yeah sure I'd be keen but I think you're one of the few people who have suggested it since last time. Peps need to speak up if they want to do this sort of thing.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

vandalinjandals
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/primalband
Bands / Groups: PrimalBand

Post by vandalinjandals » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:32 pm

beagle wrote:
Chris wrote:Welcome to NZ and the forum,we are all pretty spread out around the country,although there seems to be alot in Auckland.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here Chris. Most of the active site members are spread out all around the country which makes getting a decent number together difficult.
durandil wrote:How about doing it again ? :)
Yeah sure I'd be keen but I think you're one of the few people who have suggested it since last time. Peps need to speak up if they want to do this sort of thing.
I am real keen for a meet up too!. As long as there is a reasonable notice.