Sussex Design

Met any famous bass players?

Who da man?

Met any famous bass players?

Postby Pablo Basso » Fri May 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Anybody met any famous bass players? Local or international. I'll start (funny that) with Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix Experience). He was out here with a band called Shut Up Frank. They played one night at the Gluepot in Ponsonby many years ago. He was having trouble with his cable cutting in and out. Somebody in the (surprisingly small) crowd kept calling out for "Noel Leeming".
1979 Kramer 250B, 1981 Kramer DMZ5000, HH Electronics VS Bassamp Combo, Jansen SR450T poweramp, 2xJansen TL cabs with Electrovoice EVM15L.
Pablo Basso
Bronze Member

Re: Met any famous bass players?

Postby martyforrer » Fri May 06, 2011 11:12 pm

I met Athol Guy from the Seekers. I sold him a pickup for his double bass. When I went to NAMM I met Lee Sklar and Tony Levin, and managed a short 1 on 1 lesson from Lee Rocker, and same from Johnny Hatton (Brian Setzer Orchestra - took over from Mark Winchester). When Jeff Berlin came to NZ, I had the task of sorting out an amp setup for him and stage managing a workshop. A lovely man.
martyforrer
Gold Member

Postby foal30 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 am

I have met (the late) Noel Leeming.
true.
Fender, Steinberger, Tobias
foal30
Gold Member

Postby miked » Sat May 07, 2011 6:55 pm

I met Phil Small from Cold Chisel at the Blues Bar in CHCH. He was touring with Ian Moss. Very nice guy, told me has was playing Lakland basses these days.
miked
Bronze Member

Postby Crazykiwi » Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Guy Pratt, Dave Swift, Randy HopeTaylor, Winston Bisset, Herbie Flowers, Andy Cichon, Leland Sklar, Laurence Cottle, Doug Wimbish, Chris Mihn-Doky, Victor Wooten.
Toys (for Rueben): Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM x2, Steinberger XL25N, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, Celinder J Update, Celinder P Classic, 78 Musicman Stingray
Amps...255 character limit on signatures!
Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Postby pins » Mon May 09, 2011 5:43 pm

wow you guys,I guess being a nobody means you meet nobody :lol:
"Friday night gig is no good for me,I have other plans for my brain and it does not include THINKING !"
pins
Gold Member

Postby Crazykiwi » Mon May 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Residing in London and having contacts does help. :)
Toys (for Rueben): Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM x2, Steinberger XL25N, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, Celinder J Update, Celinder P Classic, 78 Musicman Stingray
Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Postby matt » Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 pm

miked wrote:I met Phil Small from Cold Chisel at the Blues Bar in CHCH. He was touring with Ian Moss. Very nice guy, told me has was playing Lakland basses these days.

Phil Small - don't hear a lot about his legacy, but he laid down some cracking lines with Chisel - have always loved his playing. And playing Laklands - liking it.
...in search of the impeccable groove...
matt
Bronze Member

Postby matt » Mon May 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Crazykiwi wrote:Guy Pratt, Dave Swift, Randy HopeTaylor, Winston Bisset, Herbie Flowers, Andy Cichon, Leland Sklar, Laurence Cottle, Doug Wimbish, Chris Mihn-Doky, Victor Wooten.

Yeah man - impressive list. Who was the coolest to hang with?
matt
Bronze Member

Postby foal30 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 pm

foal30 or so Steve told me :lol:

I'd like to meet Gail Ann Dorsey. and Peter Hook. maybe Scott Thunes because he sounds pretty 'focused' or 'cerebral'.
Fender, Steinberger, Tobias
foal30
Gold Member

Postby matt » Mon May 09, 2011 7:25 pm

foal30 wrote:foal30 or so Steve told me :lol:

Heh heh - I'd heard that too :D
matt
Bronze Member

Postby Crazykiwi » Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 pm

matt wrote:
Crazykiwi wrote:Guy Pratt, Dave Swift, Randy HopeTaylor, Winston Bisset, Herbie Flowers, Andy Cichon, Leland Sklar, Laurence Cottle, Doug Wimbish, Chris Mihn-Doky, Victor Wooten.

Herbie Flowers was probably the most meaningful, I was a fan of his when he was in Sky and that was long before I started playing bass. I told him all about this when we met so he let me have a go on his famous 1959 jazz bass and he even bought me a pint during the intermission!
Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Postby Fenderfan » Tue May 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Crazykiwi wrote:
matt wrote:

Herbie Flowers was probably the most meaningful, I was a fan of his when he was in Sky and that was long before I started playing bass. I told him all about this when we met so he let me have a go on his famous 1959 jazz bass and he even bought me a pint during the intermission!

He bought you a pint? Isn't it normally the other way round? Score!
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!
Fenderfan
Silver Member

Postby Crazykiwi » Tue May 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah, it created memories I'll cherish to the end of my days. :)
Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Postby CliffH » Mon May 16, 2011 8:03 pm

For me, Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey about 15 years ago and Stanley Clarke 20 years ago. If/when I meet Bootsy and Larry Graham I will be in Bass heaven meeting almost all of my bass heroes (Jaco and Jamerson I'll look up on the other side).
To each his reach
And if I don't cop, it ain't mine to have
But I'll be reachin' for ya
CliffH

Next

Return to Bassists