Samick Baby Bass setup?

Bass related topics
mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Samick Baby Bass setup?

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 am

Hi all I have a short scale Samick Baby bass. It's around 660mm, this is fret 5 on standard scale bass. It is smaller than a standard short scale bass. It had custom set of strings .80, .60, .40, .20. These were fairly hard to get, loose and never sounded resonant and lush like bass should.
After some research online people said to get a 5 string bass set at .125 and cut the BEAD strings down to size. This works well. I have fitted the strings and trying to adjust the truss rod. Now I know these strings being thicker have more tension on them. So I am slowly tightening the truss rod. With a capo on fret 1 placing my finger on fret 16 where it joins the body checking around fret 7-12 for a credit card thickness. After 2 weeks tightening the truss rod every day or 2 slowly 1/2 turn, does not seem to be raising the action. I don't want to break the truss rod.
Is there anything I have missed or can do to get this right?
Note I have adjusted my 5 string bass and acoustic guitars when needed so am not new to this.

mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Re: Samick Baby Bass setup?

Post by mickeyj4j » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:01 am

Interesting nobody has replied here, seems strange.
Anyway a follow up. I managed to sort this out and now have a great fun mini bass.
It's a P bass the size of a bass ukulele. If I can borrow a router I may rout out a space for the spare J pickup I have one day.