New to the bass

Bass related topics
alexander78nz

New to the bass

Post by alexander78nz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:08 am

HI I've recently started playing the bass. And have starting doing some online lessons from a site called jamplay and was wondering if it's the most effective way of learning or are there better sites or more effective learning methods

bronzet
Silver Member

Re: New to the bass

Post by bronzet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:42 am

Hey there and welcome :) With regards to the 'best method' to learn bass, there are no best methods it is just what method works best for you. For a start, it depends on what learning style you have - kinesthetic, visual, auditory, reading/writing learning styles. I learn best by watching and doing (i.e visual and kinesthetic learning styles) so when i started playing bass, i had one-to-one lessons. It might be good for you to find out what type of learning style(s) you have. Maybe if you learn best by reading up on something, then maybe try get a book and read about how to play bass etc
There are plenty of youtube channels out there to help you learn to play bass also, including Scott's Bass lessons which seems to be quite popular https://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass . There are also plenty of DVDs out there too.
Anyways, good luck with learning to play bass :)
Bronze

alexander78nz wrote:HI I've recently started playing the bass. And have starting doing some online lessons from a site called jamplay and was wondering if it's the most effective way of learning or are there better sites or more effective learning methods
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: New to the bass

Post by foal30 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:39 pm

Having a private tutor is highly recommended.

It's also better to study music as opposed to bass :lol:
Obviously there is some technical faculty required but knowing what and when to play is empowering and makes a better feel.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes