Are Bass Players a dying breed?

Bass related topics
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Are Bass Players a dying breed?

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 pm

ok I'm not sure if that's the right title for my post here..... but I've noticed in all of the music shops I go to, the bass guitar / amp section is small and seems to get smaller and smaller.
Take my local Rock Shop in Takapuna (this is not a dig at them in any way shape or form)
When I moved back up to Auckland in 2011 after the Christchurch Earthquakes the store had quite a large bass section and in the last 3 years that has got smaller and smaller, to the point they hardly have any amps there - just a small selection.
I've been into other Rock shops at Albany, Henderson, Sylvia Park and they are all the same... very small 'Bass' sections - and I've heard the one in K-road that was super awesome has had to move into one of the other rock shops next door or something....
Same with the Planet Music shop in Albany - their bass section has got smaller too.

Maybe Bass Players are a 'dying breed'..... does anyone else feel the same way?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: Are Bass Players a dying breed?

Post by beagle » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:20 pm

I haven't heard anything to suggest that... established bass teachers would probibly have a better idea than shops.
For shops I'm guessing there's not enough sales to justify the stock levels... but of course they won't sell what they don't have.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:08 am

They probably sell dozens of guitars for every bass. My experience is that many bass players sit on their gear for years. It's logistics. The Wellywood Rock Shop has a pretty good bass section, but then Wellywood has a pretty vibrant band scene.

allthumbs

Post by allthumbs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 am

Keep in mind that online shopping is affecting ALL retail outlets...

allthumbs

Post by allthumbs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:10 am

That said they must be stocking other items. So I retract my previous statement.