Buying Basses in NZ

Bass related topics
bennstanton

Buying Basses in NZ

Post by bennstanton » Mon May 12, 2014 11:42 am

Hey Guys,

New to NZ from the U.K and am looking to buy a bass over here, in Auckland and have been looking at some of the music shops, they seem extortionate at best, for a Steinberger spirit I have been looking at for some time in rockshop they are charging double the price I could get it in the u.k! This seems crazy to me!

Could you guys being the king of 4 strings in NZ give a new guy some tips of where to shop for basses in this hemisphere? (preferablyy in Auckland or online!)

Thanks! :mrgreen:

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Re: Buying Basses in NZ

Post by basshead56 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello there!

I've been in NZ for 4 years now and having come from Ireland I can sympathise with you in terms of price! It's crazy expensive by comparison. Even secondhand, there is a considerable difference. I put it down to how far away NZ is from everything and how little there is in terms of supply. BUT, it is getting better.
It sucks not having someone like GAK, Andertons or Thomann.de in these parts. I left my collection of 24 instruments and god knows how many amps over there and started afresh here (mind you, they will be freighted here shortly)
Still I've managed to amass a fairly decent collection in the meantime and most of it has been via Trademe (since I can't afford everything new). Much like eBay and Preloved etc it's just about keeping your eyes open - some real gems do come along.
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby Upright
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL, Ampeg 8x10
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg Micro VR & 210AV
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Tue May 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Yeah NZ is expensi for instruments. Occasionally you see a good deal (in the stores) but as the previous post says we are a small market and far away. Limited competition too. TradeMe is a good space to look in and occasionally retailers sell new basses there.

I personally bought both of my Stingrays from the US and got them delivered here and it still worked out cheaper than certain retailers who shall remain nameless :wink:
You just need to make sure that a decent hard case comes with your bass, in which the retailer can ship it to you in.

Cheers
Tim
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Tue May 13, 2014 6:50 pm

I should add that I'm kiwi and certainly know - from having been overseas and looked on online musical instrument retailers - just how much NZers get stitched, not only with price but what products are available. As an example of opportunism, my fiancée is in New York right now and coming back in a week with bass parts I ordered. I think it's a matter of being opportunistic and spotting deals on TradeMe or overseas, doing the math and then making a move.

Or maybe save the opportunity if you happen to visit Oz for a holiday, just take you clothes carry-on, buy a bass at the Bass Centre (Melbourne, Sydney) and bring it back with you as checked luggage when you return.

I would add that while it's a bit gloomy for new/retail prices in NZ, there are many enjoyable aspects about life in NZ. Welcome in. :)
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed May 14, 2014 11:35 am

manofthematch wrote:You just need to make sure that a decent hard case comes with your bass, in which the retailer can ship it to you in.
I've imported several basses in gig bags inside the factory shipping box with no problems.
manofthematch wrote:Or maybe save the opportunity if you happen to visit Oz for a holiday, just take you clothes carry-on, buy a bass at the Bass Centre (Melbourne, Sydney) and bring it back with you as checked luggage when you return.
I don't think you will save much at all, gear in Australia seems pretty similar priced to NZ.

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Wed May 14, 2014 6:26 pm

I've imported several basses in gig bags inside the factory shipping box with no problems.
Yeah point taken but surely you wouldn't recommend it? I suppose it depends on how much risk you are prepared to live with on your instrument (bass or anything else) is going to turn up in the condition it was shipped in. How's your average airline baggage handler or courier/freight company. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
I don't think you will save much at all, gear in Australia seems pretty similar priced to NZ.
Could contest this until the cows come home bro. I think the point for these dudes is to shop around, and yeah in general prices and availability of choice is better outside of NZ.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 pm

It all depends on what you want/need and how much your prepared to pay,and how long your prepared to wait.

I try and support my local music stores as much as possible and have bought numerous brand new basses,amps,cabs etc over the years and spent thousands,and probably "paid too much" but I get great service and always a discount or deal,plus I'm the "kid in a candy store" type.....

Yet I have purchased a ton of stuff on trade me/ebay type sites too because these days you can,it's easy.

Yet to import a bass and probably never will,but would feel way more comfortable if it was shipped in a hard case. :D

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:42 pm

I have imported new and used basses from both Oz and the States. I think the key is to ensure you are dealing with a reliable dealer.
I have found Elderly instruments in the States to be excellent for vintage basses, their descriptions and pics are accurate and delivery is within a few days. I have a lovely 68 Fender Jazz from them which will go to my grave with me, and a friend must have ordered at least a dozen quality used acoustic guitars from them without any issues. Bass Gear Direct in Oz have served me well for boutique speakers and an outstanding Sadowsky bass too. Note that I am using both stores for items which are not readily available here.
I have at times been tempted to use the For Sale ads on TalkBass but had cold feet on dealing with a private individual in another country.
It might be worth while for others to chip in with other safe/reliable overseas dealers with whom they have had experience.
All that said, like Pins I have bought more than my share of new gear from local stores and always get a decent discount, and TradeMe comes in handy for some great deals at times so long as you other guys don't bid up :wink: . My latest bass is a lovely Warwick Alien acoustic courtesy of TradeMe.

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 pm

Bass Central (www.basscentral.com) was the US dealer I got my Stingers from. They've got good in house pros (Dave LaRue for one), good response time and are great to deal with. Admittedly I think they may carry some restrictions in that when I bought my Rays there was only select models/colours etc they would sell to international buyers.

In terms of accessories I've bought things like good quality cables and Hipshot detuners from www.bestbassgear.com

Come to think of it I usually have bought local - both Fenders and my amplification. And there's a blend of stuff that was new and which I'd got thru Trademe. For the musicmans I felt like NZ dealers were selling them way overpriced and that I could get them US and still have some coin left over (in comparison to buying an equivalent here in NZ). I think I got my Line6 bass fx from Oz coz I couldn't find the product here in NZ.

MesaMan
Skype Address: doubleflatwhite
Bands / Groups: Madlight, Fragile, Urban Heat, Suspended Animation, Tackleboxxx.
Most recent and current band is: Lounge Act

Post by MesaMan » Wed May 21, 2014 12:21 pm

BassCentral - good to deal with. My contact person there was 'Perry' I ordered my Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5 in Olympic White, rosewood fingerboard...great. Arrived in NZ within 5 days of ordering (that was 2 weeks ago today), paid the FEDEX people what Customs required (15%) and picked it up from FEDEX Wellington. It arrived in a very nice moulded case with TSA locks and then inside a carton. All in all from ordering to picking it up - 8 days. Prior to this I also brought some pedals and cables which were a lot less expensive than buying here. all turned up really quickly.

Chris
ChrisE
Mesa Impulse 600, 2x12, 1x15 and 4x10 Powerhouse cabinets, ESP Horizon Custom 5 string, Warwick Limited Edition FNA Jazzman 5 string, Ibanez SDGR 4 string, Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5...and now a Mesa Strategy Eight:88

manofthematch
Bronze Member

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 24, 2014 8:55 am

MesaMan,
I'd bought both of my Stingrays from BC. One thing I noticed though was that they have their range displayed on the website but there are only certain basses they will ship overseas. Did you have the same experience?

I'm not complaining as I got two fantastic basses from them. Just raising it as an observation and curious whether they would only sell you specific models.

MesaMan
Skype Address: doubleflatwhite
Bands / Groups: Madlight, Fragile, Urban Heat, Suspended Animation, Tackleboxxx.
Most recent and current band is: Lounge Act

Post by MesaMan » Sun May 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Manofthematch, I didn't come across that. What I would say is that the payment process through there web site (using Paypal) was probably not as great as it could have been. They also discounted the bass down from the already discounted price. In the end it all worked perfectly.
ChrisE
Mesa Impulse 600, 2x12, 1x15 and 4x10 Powerhouse cabinets, ESP Horizon Custom 5 string, Warwick Limited Edition FNA Jazzman 5 string, Ibanez SDGR 4 string, Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5...and now a Mesa Strategy Eight:88

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon May 26, 2014 7:11 pm

I left NZ in March last year after four years being over here and previously having been educated here. I bought only one bass - a Steinberger XL25A which was imported for US$2500 plus shipping. The price of new basses in NZ is extortionate but the retailers don't sell a very high volume of stuff so have to cover their overheads some how. Used instruments can be extremely cheap. I've seen a couple of preEB stingrays on Trademe sell for NZ$1800 which is just pocket money compared to what they sell for in the UK and US.

Re: Australian prices, I have never purchased from Australia but at one point 10 years ago, you could pick up a NEW stingray for less than what they cost in the US. This was due to the strong Aussie dollar at the time.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue May 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Well as you see I just bought another new bass from the local RS,best thing buying local is I get to take it home and try it out properly through my rig before pulling the pin.I can make sure it feels right,sounds good,plays well and no has quality control issues. :)