Best gig bag on NZ?

Bass related topics
potatoes
Silver Member

Best gig bag on NZ?

Post by potatoes » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Sorry if this isn't the right board... Couldn't see a "gig bag discussion" area.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the best gig bag one can get in NZ is - best I can find are the Warwick ones but they're still a bit poos in terms of padding around the sides and don't even get me started on the bottom of the thing - no protection at all around the whole zip line.

If anyone has seen the gig bags that come with godin guitars a bass version of that or better is what I'm after. I've got hard cases but I need to get the bus every day for uni with my bass for the next 3 years so want to invest in something a little more convenient without compromising protection.

I've tried inquiring with a few USA companies a while ago but often there were shipping issues so if anyone knows a good place that does solid gig bags, if not in NZ then ships to NZ, post it up please!

Tim1
Gold Member

Re: Best gig bag on NZ?

Post by Tim1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:00 am

I bought a great one from Elderly Instruments in the USA a few years ago, still serving me well but you do have to factor in shipping - I added it on to a guitar I was bringing in which made things cheaper.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I use a CnB bass bag. $69 and shitloads of padding, plus big chunky zips. Available everywhere except Rockshops.

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:48 pm

http://www.basscentre.com.au/collections/gig-bags

This is the sort of bag I wish I could find in nz! Enquired about shipping to here and got no reply. It is not a default option on their site it would seem

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Yep, I have had the same issue with Bass Centre. I emailed them about shipping a bass over and got no response. George at Bass Gear Direct in Sydney stocks gig bags, and is very accommodating to kiwi musos.

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:56 pm

Ahh I just got a response from them, they're going to send me a quote. Ill post the shipping cost on here for others that are curious when I get it

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 pm

George at Bass Gear Direct is certainly very good at getting gear out here quickly. You can normally expect it to arrive in the country within a couple of days of payment, then of course there is a customs delay if it is a large item. The last bass I bought from them he actually delivered free, plus you don't have to pay the Aussie GST which balances out against any NZ GST you might get charged.

makatak

Post by makatak » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:18 pm

I thought the top of the line Deluxe Rockbag was pretty good if you were on a budget, maybe you saw the lower budget ones, had great neck support with a strap and block, thick padding, metal feet buttons etc, and at 90 dollars you could afford to replace it every few years .I think a gigbag is o.k for weekend warrior pub gigs but would never trust one in the back of a Van on an out of towner :)

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm taking it on the bus to uni (and carrying it around all day) every day. I need solid support around the strap button because that's where it rests when I'm on the bus with it! I wouldn't mind a $300 gig bag but I'm getting quoted almost that on just the shipping from the Australian sites that sell them.

I've got a gator semi hard case at the moment which is great but still not as convenient as gig bag

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Just ordered a Mono vertigo gig bag from the USA on eBay. Bit pricey but will last a lifetime and looks super convenient for hauling bass around uni and gigs. Ended up paying 300ish for the bag and 100 for shipping. Would have ended up paying 350 for the bag and 200 shipping from Australian web sites..

Will post about the bag when I get it if people are interested

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Well the mono arrived, this thing takes a big steaming crap on any other gig bag I've ever seen in this country. The vertical loading system is so convenient as well, not to mention comfort of the straps, the fact that it is entirely waterproof, and I can rest my bass anywhere without fear of damage.

No regrets about paying the price I paid, in fact I am surprised it doesn't cost even more after seeing how well it is made. Well I would hesitate to pay the $550+ that bass gear direct wanted from me but for 400 with shipping I am very very happy with it.

Gone are the days of trying to spread out a hard case and perform a balancing act on the drummers stuff just to set up for a bar gig!!

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:16 pm

Glad it worked out for you.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info