Bass related topics
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Talkbass forum

Post by Fenderfan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 pm

:oops: Don't hate me! :)
Just looking on the talkbass forum, and registered on there also. For some reason I can't post or give my two cents on topics. Do you have to pay first??? If so, looks like I will be staying faithfull to the kiwis, and not leaning on the US for info! Anyone else use the talkbass forums as well?
Cheers,
Tim.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

T-Dub
Gold Member

Re: Talkbass forum

Post by T-Dub » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Yeah, I'm there under the name tonymcbony

Did you click on the activation email?
You shouldn't need to pay unless you're trying to post a thread in the classifieds

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah I'm sure I did all that as per, but maybe I missed something.... I'll have to double check. Cheers.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 pm

What Tony said..

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 am

Fenderfan wrote::oops: Don't hate me! :)
Just looking on the talkbass forum, and registered on there also. For some reason I can't post or give my two cents on topics. Do you have to pay first??? If so, looks like I will be staying faithfull to the kiwis, and not leaning on the US for info! Anyone else use the talkbass forums as well?
Cheers,
Tim.
because they dont want your cents.... only pennies allowed in the states
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:44 am

If any of you can remember the British comedy "The Young Ones" and in particular where God's foot comes slamming through the roof of the flat to squash them - that's how I feel on TB. Because I am a cab builder with a commercial interest, I can't even fart there without some mod thinking he's the owner of that foot. :roll:

..and woe be tied to you if you don't go "Baaaa" like the rest of them. :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:44 am

it's a differnet world on there for sure
but each Bass site has it's own flavor and vibe

FinnBass is probably the closest to us, all sites have +/-

I reckon I have learned some handy shite from every site
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Yeah this is definately the more friendly of the two sites I've visited! I find it good to hear / read some different experiences people have had with products, in the US they seem to have quite a large range of gear easily available to them - a kiwi version of 'musician'sfriend.com' would be awesome!

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:35 pm

Yeah, this is a far more relaxed less gear-geek heavy forum. I wish it would be a tad more popular but that's all good, there are some top people here and I wouldn't want that to change.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:57 am

Fenderfan..... you can buy anything you like from musiciansfriend, why a local one? Just so you know, the reason we're so deprived of product, particularly boutique product, is because no-one here buys the stuff. I work for an importer/wholesaler, and we had a boutique guitar line that was excellent handmade product with a very good international reputation.... guess what? We sold maybe half a dozen units a year. And, as a distributer we're expected to carry a full range. This is just financial nonsense. We dumped that line.
The same applies for new product. The manufacturer shows his nice new shiny unit at NAMM and advertises it in Guitar Player or Bass Player, but the reality is the American market gets the stuff first, and the little tinpot country at the bottom of the world that most Americans have never heard of has to wait until the bigger markets are satisfied.
Commercial reality and local apathy. The truth is that kiwis are not very receptive to anything that doesn't have Gibson or Fender written on it. Doesn't matter if it's ten times better, kiwis dont want to know.
FWIW... I've been a TB member for quite a few years, it's OK but you need to take everything with a grain of salt. the double bass side is better than the bass guitar side, IMO.

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Yep fair enough marty, good point(s). Was just looking on musicians friend and thought it was damn cheap especially with the exchange rate right now!

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:38 pm

martyforrer wrote: Commercial reality and local apathy. The truth is that kiwis are not very receptive to anything that doesn't have Gibson or Fender written on it. Doesn't matter if it's ten times better, kiwis dont want to know.
That's not true. I think the main problem is that our sales people are rubbish and will take them straight to the Gibsons/Fenders instead of listening to what the customer is really saying...people saying "I want a Fender" are sometimes saying "I want a single coil guitar".

Also, I think our stores have no idea how to market their boutique gear.

When I look at Custom Audio Boutique, I see a company that educates as well as sells boutique gear. In fact, the whole "educate your ears" slant is something that Ryan deliberately does, even if you're not going to spend money with him.

When compared with that, I see a lot of music stores guilty of waiting of the customers to come rushing in because they've brought in some Aguilar cabs, no one plays it because no one knows whether it's the latest boutique gear or the next incarnation of Ashton crap because the salesperson didn't educate them. The stores then get all grumpy saying "stupid customers don't know anything" and stop trying.

IMO the stores need to learn how to educate their customers, not just expect that customers will know what they sell.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:05 pm

T-Dub wrote:That's not true. I think the main problem is that our sales people are rubbish and will take them straight to the Gibsons/Fenders instead of listening to what the customer is really saying...
Almost
<rant on poor sales skills>
The problem with most sales people in retail stores is they don't even take them to Fender/Gibson. The take them to SX, Ashton and the like because they they lack the skills of the basics of selling. AIDA was the catch acronym for selling that got drummed into me in the late 60s that is hardly evident at present

Attention

Interest

Desire

Action

You have two ears, and one mouth and unless sales people use those in equal proportion, they're never going to be great salespeople - period!

Sell the sizzle not the sausage.

So my take is "if only" they'd lead people to Gibson or Fender - at least they're building the dream of the prospect to have better gear than what he imagined when he first stepped into the shop. But no...it's SX and the likes because they are too afraid of loosing the sale by price.

On of the best sales guys in a music store I ever saw was Junior Fitz. He sold basses and played bass very well. He'd watch a customer come in, decide he was looking for basses and even before he'd approach the person, he'd put on a CD in the background of some smooth bass player playing a Pedulla, or Ken Smith or something fancy. He'd breeze past and say "Wow, those Ken Simth's sound just heaven don't they? - I wish I could own one of those" Do you think I'd be interested in an SX after that?

Oh..the other thing he had which all good salesmen MUST have....is...product knowledge and know what the features and benefits of each product are and...THE KEY...what advantage they offer to the prospect.

But what do I get these days walking into most music stores? It's something like "Oh hello, are you being fixed up?" - To which I reply "Well F%$k me, I wasn't aware I had broken down" :mrgreen:

</Rant on poor sales skills>
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:29 am

tony. who is bringing in aguilar now? no longer simon diprose of audiozone?

i love that putting on a song story. all i used to do was to try and figure out what genre/era the dude was into and i would spit out a riff.
and 80% they are in my palms :lol:

listening to what customers really want, i learnt that the second week on the job, still have that 55 year old dude's face light up when i recommended him, and let him test out the hotcake with his own guitar after listening to the tone he wanted via a jazz cd.

priceless.

then again he never bought anything else again. dropped by when he was around. i wouldnt sell him anything else anyway.

62' es175 i think it was. into a hot cake and an old british ac15.

what more do you need!
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:07 am

Yeah, that talkbass site seems like there's a line-up of gear snipers that'll take aim and fire at anyone who dares mention something less than stellar. Sometimes I wonder if the gear snobs actually own the gear or they are just BS merchants.

I think this site is a lot more supportive and friendly because of the fact that NZ is small and you are quite likely to cross paths with those on the forum, so hiding behind the keyboard talking s**t would probably lead to quite a lot of embarrassment and awkward situations when you're out playing.

As for the gear availability/local apathy issue, the whole Gibson/Fender thing for me comes down to what people see their idols using. Of course people only seem to be interested in a Les Paul or Strat because it's pretty much all you see in the video clips. Even those big names who use more "up-market" brands (let's use Lakland and Sadowsky for example) will go for something that still looks like a P or J bass, so the average muso will still think they are playing a Fender. If you were to buy a bass amp based on what you have seen in music videos, you would think the only bass amp known to man is an Ampeg SVT with an 8 x 10 cab. Of course, some might say it should be the only bass amp known to man.

So I agree that it is up to the sales person to educate customers about the other brands available, because it is pretty much the only way the customer will discover new gear if G.A.S has not infected them yet.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.